Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End of the Year

Spent the last few days of December
squatting in the shitter,
expelling what seemed like
a never-ending
stream of fecal matter.

It was baffling; my meals had been far from exotic,
in fact, I hadn't eaten much all week.
My bowels became an excremental clock,
striking every hour without exception,
as if my body was incrementally being purged
of the year's dregs, emptying itself out
so as to start off fresh. It could have been worse. 
The other day a woman at work
was heard screaming in the lower level restroom,
apparently trying to give herself an enema.
Of course, it's tempting to make cracks
about these events, and how, looking back, 
they seem indicative of the type of year it's been.
Besides, our discomfort about defecation still compels us
to titter when the subject enters conversation.
But I felt for that poor woman, shuddered at her frustration.
It's hard to move forward when you're doubled over,
clutching your stomach. My own biggest goal in 2011
was to unblock my own psychic constipation,
to stop holding in the lifetime's worth of shit
that had accumulated in my system.
I made a concerted effort to gaze into that chasm,
to face the ordure armada down there in the basin,
and to accept the truth about myself, no matter
how offensive the bouquet. I long to create 
something beautiful from that waste.
Like a virgin roll of tissue, the new year awaits.

8 comments:

  1. haha nice closing line...and yes it is indicative of the year a bit...yikes on the painful enema as well def a unique take on new years but i like...smiles...hope 2012 is all the more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "as if my body was incrementally being purged
    of the year's dregs" ... Nice.

    This is absolutely my favorite part:

    "and to accept the truth about myself, no matter
    how offensive the bouquet. I long to create
    something beautiful from that waste."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I long to create something beautiful from that waste as well...and i like to think of the new year like a virgin roll of tissue... all the best for you for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't make up my mind whether you were blaming the old or the new year for your condition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dig this, carrion. you had me at "shitter". i'll be back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, that last line is the funniest thing I've read in weeks! What, you were serious? Oh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very grounded poem. A lighthanded touch upon clumpy psychological debris. Finding simple words for the complex clarity of living. You're psyche has seemed increasingly sure-footed in the overturning darkness: born to stumble-sing and think: sink and swim in wordy silence. Luck and revitalizing practice to you in the "Year of the Dancing Crazy Mayan Chainsaws"--Rip rip Rooray!

    affections

    Ucl. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS:
    It's hard to move forward when you're doubled over,
    clutching your stomach. My own biggest goal in 2011
    was to unblock my own psychic constipation,
    to stop holding in the lifetime's worth of shit
    that had accumulated in my system.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete