Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Deep-Fried Demons


Misfortune oozes through the air
this chill and dreadful night in late October,
and it smells remarkably similar
to breaded chicken sizzling in the deep-frier.
Squatting on a stoop, I luxuriate blissfully 
in the irresistible odor of oily batter 
that wafts from the vents 
of the Cajun restaurants kitchen.
I can taste that crispy skin, can feel 
the hot grease trickle down my stubbly chin.
The sushi place across the street exudes 
no olfactory evidence
of the hand-rolled ghosts and quiet rice 
no doubt waiting patiently within. 
The flimsy paper lanterns in the window
seem chintzy and unambitious. 
By contrast, the chicken shack is boisterous 
and garishly lit, ejecting a crowd of patrons 
from its noisy gullet.
The chattering crowd staggers along the pavement 
like a brain-addled millipede. Flames flicker
within the revelers cupped palms,
lapping  at the tips of their cigarettes.
As they pass, I ask to bum a smoke 
and one of them taps a menthol from its pack,
holds the lighter steadier than Id be able to
Leaves lie at my feet, little solar panels stripped 
and, having served their purpose, 
now find themselves laid off from the limbs 
where theyve labored their entire lives.
The empty oxygen factories flash their skeletons 
in an attempt to frighten the sated patrons,
but the revelers remain laughing and oblivious, 
their heads swirling with spirits,
bodies lifted into the night, bellies fluttering
with a flock of tiny wings. 

5 comments:

  1. ugh...so much texture and smells in your piece..vivid...you had me there and i am not sure i want to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I loved this piece--I loved the smells, and the sounds and the word choice---

    Leaves lie at my feet, little solar panels stripped and, having served their purpose,
    now find themselves laid off from the limbs

    Very satisfying read!

    Audrey
    @AudreyHowitt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaves lie at my feet, little solar panels stripped 
    and, having served their purpose, 
    now find themselves laid off from the limbs 
    where they’ve labored their entire lives.

    That stanza says a lot to me. I like it when poetry captures Alludes to other relities with images like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've cast quite a spell for the psyche and the taste-buds-- brilliant. xxj

    ReplyDelete