Saturday, December 24, 2011

Joyful and Triumphant


The cat slumbers in a nest of wrinkled tissue
wadded in a cardboard box. The foil fir

is dark. The lights strung outside knock
against the frozen rafters of the porch.
My girlfriend
s in the kitchen, gossiping with her mother
on the phone. I cant make out the words,
just her voices warm murmur
until the heater bangs on and drowns her out.
I think of my own mother, forcing her heathen children

to sit around the tree and read
that hoary old nativity story  
from the onionskin pages of her Good News Bible
before we could unwrap our gifts.
Distracted shepherds letting their flocks wander,

senile old men mistaking retinal detachment for stars.
We
d recite the testimony of those unreliable narrators 
in funny voices to spite her, to celebrate
the triumph of the cynical over the faithful.
Now, years later, the thrill of victory has faded.
The candle is bright, but does not provide enough warmth
to drive the chill from my hands.

I call my mothers voice mail, leave a message.

No doubt she’s out at midnight mass. 
The cat doesn’t bother to look up from its cradle

as I rise and cross the room
and, for what little good it will do,
plug in the tiny lights of the tree.  

1 comment:

  1. Haven't been visiting you for awhile. Reading this poem, I wonder why not. It's so damn moving - "the triumph of the cynical over the faithful" gives way to the last three lines with as much capitulation as you're capable of. But always, the honesty when you face yourself.

    ReplyDelete