Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rafflesia Arnoldii


A hysterical lipstick smack bloodies the backside
of a perfume-soaked missive
posted to me by a smitten bovine blob of a teenaged girl,
asking if I want to go steady, and providing me with her digits
so I can call her to accept this generous offer.
The note closes with the words “Good Night,”
the two words underscored multiple times,
the pen nearly tearing through the tulip-bordered stationery.
Twenty-odd years later I still shudder
when I picture that sticky smile, shy but smug,
so certain I would return the affection
which she confessed to, with the encouragement 
of a counselor, after one of our group therapy sessions.
That bloated blossom, that overripe fruit 
fairly bursting its skin to reveal
the pungent mush festering within.
Even my adolescent self, so sweaty and desperate
for a taste of flesh, was repulsed.
I wonder how many of the girls I’ve asked out
-or, worse, lunged at- over the years, were similarly disgusted
but were too polite to say so,
too composed to show their discomfort.
Perhaps they were just so appalled they were struck dumb
as I was that day, stammering some feeble rejection 
while the counselor nodded in support of our efforts 
to communicate like grown-ups.
I tried to summon some feeling of compassion 
but couldn’t get past her eclipsing dimness. 
The orbiting satellite crashes through 
the thick, noxious atmosphere of Ishtar, of Venus.
And when, on a rainy group field trip
to a music festival, I brusquely repelled her attempts
to force me to stand with her beneath her umbrella,
her pained expression made me wince with pity
but no real sympathy. As much as I loathed
and wanted to destroy myself, I still felt superior
to this lisping behemoth.

Years later, she came into the store where I worked.
Waddling ahead of her was a man, possibly
her father, who was even more enormous. 
Her eyes had sunken into her face
like the cushion buttons of an old couch.
Mercifully, she didn’t recognize me.
That night, the images rushed at me unbidden:
helplessly, I pictured her plump fingers 
probing the folds of her own moist flesh, 
her lips puckering to kiss that reeking sheet 
of stationery, stuffing it into the envelope. 
The fat slug of her tongue, licking the stamp. 
What would it be like to be intimate with this creature,
this woman who will never have a poem 
written about her, much less a poem steeped in passion,
dripping with desire, swollen with love?
For all I know, her unlucky life might be long since over,
her corpulence whittled to a few dense twigs,
unplucked petals fallen from the empty stem, 
etc. I could lie and claim I still possess
that letter, and that the passing years 
have served to made me softer. 
I could lie and say that if I saw her 
now, I’d take her puffy hand in mine
and squeeze it tight, and give to her 
my warmest, gentlest gaze, my kindest smile.

2 comments:

  1. So, in the cutting it too close to home department...

    I cannot believe that you have not here missed the sort of emotion you intended on expressing. It is like reading a wistful recollection of being chewed in Satan's mouth at the bottom of the Inferno. (or, in my case - the eternal thought of maybe, perhaps, I am in the fact the ogre and well, she might not be.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exemplary candor. Desire and repulsion have always been one of the primal (human) structures of poetry. This self-revealing works(for me)because it has that comprehensiveness (condensation) which includes its speaker's recognition of his own inability to reach past his precise sarcasm and cruelty. The human admission payed to enter the human world of knowing (and loathing).

    Ulrich Stegna

    ReplyDelete