Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sluice


Your teeth part, loosing a stream of invectives
to gush from between your lips.
The words pour through a woven mesh 

of burlap whose fibers are so coarse, the grid they form so loose
sound slips right through the weave 
like water flowing through a sieve.
The cloth is rough against my cheek, but still I can't perceive
 
if it's your head or mine this sack enshrouds. 
I rest my neck within the groove in this eroded block 
as your curses rush along my auditory canal
to plug the drain and clog every channel, 
overflow cognition's aqueduct.
I hold my breath, wait for the current to slow,
wait for the blade to drop, your mouth to clamp shut.

6 comments:

  1. yikes...off with their heads....but wont silence be so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this immensely; this is a wonderful write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The cloth is rough against my cheek, but still I can't perceive if it's your head or mine this sack enshrouds." What a moment of "recognition"! Also appreciate the phrase "overflow cognition's aqueduct" —fitting given the many lines that capture that heightened perceptual state before the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each word seems carefully chosen to pack the most punch, appreciate that attention to precision :)

    Oh, and excellent picture as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your language here, especially the "cognition's aqueduct"--what a cool phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite poems from you. Can relate strongly to it. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete