Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Putty (W.H.)

You are touchingly walleyed, 
your wobbly pupils peering out through the holes
in your stretched-out rubber mask of a face.
You brush a few limp strands of your raven feather wig
from your chalky forehead.Your skin, 
hanging loose on your skull, reminds me 
of my earliest nightmare, in which 
my mother stood at the kitchen sink,
her face turning to white paste
and dripping into the sudsy dishwater.
My most recent bad dream was just last night. 
I was trying to buy religious icons from a South Philadelphia shrine
with paper money that turned out to be a wad 
of elaborately etched counterfeit twenty-four-dollar bills.
I dont know why it was so horrifying, but I awoke in a cold sweat. 
The night before it was Whitney Houston, or rather,
a cake molded to look like her, in a red strapless dress
and frosted crimson lips.
My apologies; its true what they say, there's nothing quite so boring
as someone elses dreams. 
Dont leave, though. Frightening though your features may be, 
Im still mad for your lazy gyrations,
your scuffed pumps and bunched stockings, 
and I will flick crumpled twenty-four dollar bills at you
to flutter at your painted toes all evening
even if Im certain any words we say to each other
will plop to the floor, where we will probably slip on them.
Oh, hell, Im no good at small talk. I'm smitten with you.
I'll follow you anywhere you go, join in on whatever
harebrained crime spree you plot for us.
If you want, baby, Ill even try my best to become a character in
your favorite recurring nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment