Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Shofar

A toothless old  veteran squats behind a dumpster,
attempting to knot a bandanna across his greasy forehead.
The air is a sliver of glass and th
e daffodils
have sucked their bugles in like skittish barnacles,
waiting for April to stop being such a bastard.

As I shiver at the bus stop, an obese woman with a black eye
smiles at me through the window of the Lebanese restaurant,
where she sits with a man in a fishing vest.
Their fingers tear apart a beret of pita bread
from the basket on the table as they wait for

their wet shanks of lamb to arrive.       
I spy a hawk floating in a puddle but when I raise my face
to gaze directly at the bird, the sky is blank.
Charlie Parker's trumpet blares, muted and mournful,
from the open window of a dented Cadillac
stalled at the traffic signal. I don't know what
to do with myself these days. I have nothing 

of interest to say. I ride the bus across the bridge
from one side of the river to the other,
to the end of the line and back, dragging the pen
across the page like an animal pacing behind the fence.

Should my bleating windpipe get slashed,
the body of this sacrificial ram reduced
to a wheezing and deflating fleecy sack,
I pray that someone will unfetter one
of these hollow horns from my skull
and place their lips to the corkscrew tip and blow,
conquering the sudden silence with 
a single note

2 comments:

  1. Oh Seann.
    Nobody does poetry like you.
    Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beauty. "Conquering the sudden silence with/a single note."

    ReplyDelete