Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Permanent Stubble

As I reach into the medicine cabinet
for the can of shaving cream, I spot the box of tampons
she bought back when we were first dating
and kept at my apartment for those rare occasions
when she slept over and was caught off guard
by the premature arrival of her period.
I will not touch this feminine hygiene product IED
for fear that jostling the box might trigger
a paroxysm of sentimental memories. 
So it remains, half-buried beneath a quiver of Q-tips 
and cartons upon cartons of band-aids stockpiled 
as if in preparation for an onslaught of tissue-dabbed nicks, 
expecting to staunch the flow from one thousand tiny cuts.
I close the cabinet door and see her reflected in the mirror,
perched on the edge of the tub with her smooth legs crossed
beneath her little skirt. Blood runs down her calves
to fill her pumps. She always liked to sit there
as a witness while I shaved, used to shoplift 
fresh blades from the pharmacy so her face 
would not get scratched raw by my bristles. 
But that was back when we still kissed, 
before our garden plot grew choked with weeds. 
Back when I’d still bother to slap my cheeks 
with stinging aftershave. I spin around 
but no one’s there. Replace the razor on the sink’s cool rim
and wash the mask of lather from my chin. The faucet 
drips. I flee the bathroom with my fingers wet
and my beard intact, unable to bring myself to part 
with a single hair if she’s not there to watch.

6 comments:

  1. My God! How utterly passionate and romantic it is...such a pain hurt & mind-blowing pleasure!
    LOved it...the whole story..i could feel it and more could I figure it as a beautiful visual treat!!!

    ~Keep the Spark ALive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew...love the depth of feeling in this...seeing her in the mirror...the always there tampons...the unable to part with a single hair without her to watch is a hot line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, really nice piece. The memories and the objects and actions that connect to memories are so effectively drawn here. Exceptional writing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, truly the depth of your words deepens throughout. Captured all the feeling and more, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you used such an ordinary object to convey the deth of the loss. Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful expression of loss.Tenderness love and hurt explode through this one like shooting stars..really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete