Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Longest

The night is filled with those young girls, whose gauzy petals are both a joy and a torment. Is it worse to think that you never had a chance with one of them, or to think that once there had been such a chance, and you blew it? It's after ten, and there is  still a good amount of solstice glow clinging to the ragged fringe of the sky, at least where the clouds fail to blot it out. This is my first day without my crutches, the end of a year of terrified hobbling and wondering what would become of my mangled foot. A muscle car growls incoherently from blocks away. A horn from another vehicle blasts in its wake. The smell of urine wafts up from the sidewalk. The old man on the bench beside me is reading Thomas Hardy. I want to talk to him about it but I am afraid his voice will sound like mine...or mine like his, which may be worse. A girl bubbles into her cell phone -how much easier poets had it before these things. If I could, I would erase all evidence of the things from my work. Huge spot lights shine tirelessly where they're doing road work or shooting a movie. By the time I have finished writing, the light in the sky is gone. The girl on the phone has spilled her guts and is still nowhere near done jabbering. Her hand flutters about like a flower in the breeze. I turn to the old man and say, "Hardy, eh?" but he doesn't look up. I notice the wires trailing from his ears. Tomorrow the stretched-out days start shriveling back into themselves again, clenching up like a leaf thrown on the coals. I keep waiting for the sound of a crash in the night, a wrenching metal tone held longer than the others. I wish I could keep the light from escaping, from leaving me completely, but what good is neverending twilight? What good would it be, if the world sounded but one eternally suspended note?

12 comments:

  1. Such a picture of emptiness and loneliness amid people and busyness. One of the saddest lines to me was, "Is it worse to think that you never had a chance with one of them, or to think that once there had been such a chance, and you blew it?" Sometimes, being trapped in our thoughts is worse than anything else. Enjoyed reading here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great lines, but these were my favorites: "those young girls, whose gauzy petals are both a joy and a torment." and "solstice glow clinging to the ragged fringe of the sky."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seann, this is a great write. I'm not just saying that. I enjoyed this read. The way you tie everything together. To me this is the best write I read by you. Someone should publish it because it is that good. Keep writing like this man, cause I hear something in your work. Let's both keep honing our talent. Until the next one, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with lori on the line...it is a heavy one and felt one that i think many can relate too...very well writ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lyrical, poignant, evocative. The price for being able to write this way is...well, the price-- you know what I mean. xxxj see what you think of the poem I posted for today-- xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a poetic piece of prose. This is so well crafted. I particularly like, '...solstice glow clinging to the ragged fringe of the sky,' 'A girl bubbles into her cell phone,' 'the stretched-out days start shriveling back into themselves again, clenching up like a leaf thrown on the coals.' and the details, like the mention of the smell of urine. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you paint such a vivid picture, it's almost tangible. kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The intensity, hope and deep sadness combine to make this quite powerful.
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/07/05/dance-of-god-science/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - this was just amazing write - i was captured from the first line and almost forgot to breathe...there was a sense of loneliness but more the sense of an observer, slicing the environment into its atoms and put it together on a different level...great write

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could almost feel that desperate need to hold on to something, anything, but being lost within the moment at the same time. A rather, helpless feeling, but wonderfully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was pretty brave of you to have done a short story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a dark lyrical snippet from a highly compressed memoir. A meditation on present time that begins with the ragged past intruding. It consistently stylizes terror and isolation but seems to try and reconcile (impossible) to what-is at the end. Each detail seems hugely symbolic of the mood-situation it creates. Hmmmm... that one question about two kinds of chance. Unanswerable?

    ReplyDelete