Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kumari Kandam Trailer Park (The Sunken Kingdom)


The screen door banged like a shotgun behind her
and she clomped down the wooden stairs of the trailer
the moment she heard our tires crunch on the gravel.
As soon as I stepped from the car into the moat
-displacing hundreds of larval warrior mosquitoes
with one thick splash- I knew that peril was close.
But I was merely the page, the squire, the Sancho
to this trailer-tilting psycho, my pal I’d accompanied
these thousand miles, squeaking through speed
traps and cutting off truckers, this maniacal hunter
crushing caffeine pills and littering the floor of the Pinto
with cellophane and the spent shells of energy drinks.
Maybe it was just the hot, slimy air making my hair
want to slither from my scalp, making me gulp for breath.
He’d met her on a family vacation in Key West.
When he’d returned to Pennsylvania they’d kept in touch
over the fledgling internet, and now he was back to scoop her up,
torpedoing south to rescue her from the sawgrass nest,
deliver her from the soggy prison deep in the gator-infested
swampland of Florida. And I was the madman's backup, my legs
buckling beneath me in fear at the prospect
of getting lost, of being accosted by back-woods perverts,
subjected to their toothless twang, their barefoot justice.
I watched his lit-up face go dim 
as her rubbery lips stretched into a grin,
revealing sweet-corn teeth pressed into the rim
of the pink reef of her gums. Freckles dusted her face
like cayenne sprinkled on mayonnaise,
like creeping rust. But that wasn’t the worst.
Behind her thudded the trunks of a toad
as the oblong blob of her mother descended the planks.
Chinless and squinting, her jowls jiggling as she hugged us.
Then the father emerged, a stoic, pop-eyed manfrog,
a beer barrel propped up on scrawny legs.
They gave us the tour of the manor, pointing out the room 
where we were to spend the weekend, the greasy sleeping bags.
I pulled my captain aside and he staggered beside me in a stupor
between the aluminum hulls of the submerged wrecks.
Collapsed lighthouses, fallen towers.
We can’t stay here, I hissed. He nodded. Behind us an engine revved
and a black four-wheel-drive behemoth sidled up beside us.
Two ghouls sat behind the wheel of the leviathan
staring at us with the crab-eaten, eel-riddled eyes
of drowned mariners. We raced back to the car
and didn’t stop driving until we hit dry land in Savannah,
where we spent a speechless night staring at the motel television.
We took to the road the next morning, the sun risen
over the sea to our right. I should probably stop
and give her a call from one of these diners, he said,
but never even slowed down. Just kept on driving.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha....this is riotous...and great story telling...love all the little details...and i will be chuckling the rest of the night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you filled in the details great, just adding to the affect, enjoyed the story, nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. Great use of line breaks too.

    ReplyDelete