Friday, May 27, 2011

St. Vitus Dance


Take my ragged thumbs and plunge them 
into your skull sockets, feel my my body 
jerk
as your current rams its prow into the dock. Thus hooked,  I cab it 

thirty blocks 
to the impending crib
(no doubt already ominously thumping),
Firestones spraying rooster-tails that drench the shiny curbs.
In the backseat, I strap the razor blades to my sleeves 

and to my cuffs and pat my wallet stuffed
with bribes for the bouncers and when 
the BPMs coagulate into slurry
and the strobe lights make my eyelids hummingbird
I smash the glass, set off the sprinklers rigged
to baptize all the thrashing kids.
We unbuckle our legs and drop to the sticky floor

where we all flop like bleeding fish 
in the bow of a skiff, waiting for 
the thud of the oar, the harpoon butt of dawn
to slam up on our heads, to knock us stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment