Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Innocent Pleiades

It wasn’t me, but you, that night;
your hand that crawled across her knee,
drawing back the shadow of her skirt
to expose the pale moon flesh of her thigh.
I can feel her skin as if I wore 
your fingers like a glove; using their tips
to trace her freckle constellations.

It was your name, not mine, embossed on the card
that paid for the brisket, the burgundy, the creme brulee;
I can feel the napkin patting the corners of your mouth,
can feel the pen in your fingers as you sign the check,
can feel the the wheel in your grip
as the waxed Toyota slides between the conifers.

Just like you, I know those woods 
like the back of my hand. They’re magical at night, although
you can only steal glimpses of the stars
tangled in the branches, if it's clear,
or the eyes of some animal that flash in the headlights
then quickly wink out, like cosmic embers snuffed
by their rush through the stratosphere.
I’ve noticed how poor the reception is out here,
between the mountains, far from the towers,
spots kept secret even from the satellites.

It was your name that she howled that night
...yet I’m the one they came for
when they found the car, I'm the one
whose swatch of hair they snipped.
As you take the stand, 
I think of her parted lips.
I'm surprised to hear you read my lines
as if you had written them yourself
and there's a rushing in my ears

and once again I see those beads of light
start to flash across my eyes
like holes ripped with a knife
in the blindfold of the sky 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! From beginning to end this is a very good poem in my opinion. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Dark, real, vivid images haunting and dangerous. Really well written. Excellent work. Thanks, Gay (@beachanny)

    ReplyDelete